Rolling the perfect joint can be considered an art. If you find yourself fumbling with the technique when rolling you’re not alone. There are a few key tips and tricks that help create a perfect pinner or tight roll.
If you’re looking to sharpen your skills try some of these tactics below the next time you light up. This blog post will guide you through some tips and tricks to roll the perfect joint. So whether you’re a beginner or an experienced smoker, read on for some helpful advice. Let’s get started!
What You Need To Roll A Joint
Before you start rolling, you will need a few essential things on hand:
- Cannabis Flower: Pick a high-quality strain well suited for the time of day and occasion. A sativa strain like Ultra Sour may be more stimulating during the day or at a social gathering, while an Indica strain like Pink Kush may be better suited for nighttime use or when you want to relax.
- Grinder: A grinder is an essential tool for the art of rolling. It increases the surface area of the flower and makes it easier to burn. If you don’t have a grinder on hand you can always use scissors, although it may take a little more time and patience.
- Rolling Tray (Optional) or a Flat Surface: One of the biggest mistakes people make is trying to roll a joint on their lap, or freehand. One pro tip is to roll your joints on a flat surface or upgrade to a rolling tray. Don’t have a rolling tray? You can always use a plate or a flat notebook in a pinch.
- Rolling Paper: You can’t roll a joint without the rolling paper, and there are a ton of options out there. If you want to roll a bigger joint to share with friends, you might want to consider using king-size rolling paper. If you’re looking for something organic, pick up some unbleached Bud Bar Natural Rolling Papers.
- Filter (Optional): Filters or tips are optional as they’re a personal preference, but they provide a stable grip on the joint. They also keep any small weed particles from getting in your mouth prevent saliva from getting the cannabis wet and keep you from burning your fingers. Some people still kick it old-school with a rolled-up piece of paper or cardboard, but a real pro trick is to pick up pre-made filters.
- Concentrates (optional): If you’re looking for something more potent and want to supercharge your joint, you might consider topping your roll with some concentrates – like Sapphire Kief.
How To Roll A Joint in Four Easy Steps
Now that you have everything to get started, follow the steps below, and you’ll be able to roll a joint like a pro with a little bit of practice.
Prepare Your Cannabis
The first step in rolling a joint is preparing your flower. Before you start grinding away, make sure to place your rolling tray or whatever alternative you are using on an even surface like a table just in case you drop any.
After removing the bud from the packaging, place it into the grinder. Make sure that it’s evenly distributed, as it will make the grinding process easier. Try to stay away from the center as it might jam your grinder.
Twist your grinder to grind your cannabis, keeping in mind the consistency. Use slow and steady movements. You don’t want the texture to be too powdery or chunky, because that affects how you pack and roll your joint.
Grinding your cannabis is an essential part of the process because it breaks up your flower, which ensures a more even, smoother burn.
Create A Crutch/Filter (Optional)
If you decide to roll your joint with a filter and don’t have any pre-made ones on hand, you can make your own from any kind of thick paper-like magazine covers, cardstock, or an old business card. Make sure that it’s not too hard, so it’s easy to fold, and not too flimsy so your joint holds the shape.
Cut the filter material you choose to about ¾ by 2 ½ inches. Continue by folding a small piece of the end of the paper so that it creates a small rectangle shape. Keeping that rectangle folded over, fold the filter again in the opposite direction and then again reverse the direction. If you’re looking at the filter tip from a side profile, you should now see an “M” shape. Hold the shape using your thumb and index finger and wrap what remains of the paper around it until the filter becomes the size you want.
Prepare the Rolling Paper & Line It With Cannabis
Open your rolling paper, making sure that the part with the glue is facing you. Carefully collect the amount of ground cannabis you want to smoke and place it in the center of the folded rolling paper. If you’re using concentrates, now would be a good time to sprinkle them on top.
Roll the ends of the paper against one another to pack cannabis. When you feel like it’s packed enough, place the filter at the end of the paper. If you’re using a roller, you simply place the paper in between the roller and begin to twist.
Tuck, Roll & Seal
Roll the joint back and forth with your fingertips to make the final conical shape. Roll and tuck it as many times as to achieve the desired size. Do this by folding the unglued side of the paper into the roll, making sure that the paper is tightly gripped, and straightening your paper, so it forms a joint.
Lick the glued edge of the paper and tap the filtered end on a surface to tuck it in more. You can add more cannabis from the wide end before you seal and light it up.
Spark It Up!
If your preferred method of consuming cannabis is smoking, it takes practice before you get it right. And remember, the key to rolling a joint like a pro comes down to the consistency of the ground flower. Keep stems and seeds out of the mix and grind your weed to the right texture.
Don’t worry if you don’t get it right on your first try. With practice, you will be able to roll the perfect joint in no time! If you’re looking to learn more about cannabis, check out our blog here.