Are you interested in learning how to make cannabutter? Well, it couldn’t be simpler. You don’t have to be a master chef or cannabis connoisseur – just follow the steps below. Bud Bar has a simple guide for you!
Cannabutter (a combination of cannabis and butter) is a popular way to make edibles, and it’s great to use in cannabis cookies or brownies. It’s the first (and definitely the most important) step towards baking delicious cannabis treats.
People without a lot of experience cooking with weed usually think that making cannabutter is complicated, but it’s actually easier than you may think. Just follow the simple steps below, and you’ll be able to make your own cannabutter in no time!
Ingredients and Equipment You’ll Need
- THC or CBD-rich flower
- Unsalted butter (use the amount of butter your infused recipe calls for)
- 1/4 cup water
- Small saucepan
- Food-safe thermometer
- Fine mesh strainer
- Storage container
If you’re new to making cannabutter or simply want to perfect your craft, here are three tips for mastering your cooking skills:
1. Get quality bud
It goes without saying – the better the bud you purchase, the better your cannabutter will taste.
Be sure to read the cannabis package label since knowing how much THC/CBD there is in the edible can help you dose your edibles accordingly and not green out.
2. Buy tasty butter
Don’t forget about the quality of the butter! Even though we are focusing on the canna, the quality of butter can determine the taste and consistency of the final product. You can stick with any brand you prefer, salted or unsalted, as almost any fat-containing butter or oil can be used as a base for cannabutter.
If you’re vegan, you can use your favourite vegan butter brands. Just make sure that the vegan product still has high contents of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
3. Grind your flower
You can choose to grind your flower before or decarbonize your weed. Remember that grinding is usually better before the decarbing process, as it would allow for the cannabis particles to burn evenly. You can avoid wasting cannabis when it becomes a bit toasty after decarbonization.
Just grind it coarsely with any better-quality metal grinder of choice. Of course, you can also try Bud Bar’s signature Bud Buster four-piece grinder for best results.
How To Make Cannabutter
Making your cannabutter is the first step to delicious weed-infused edibles. If this is your first attempt at making cannabutter, here are some easy steps below, which cover every part of the process in detail.
- 8 -10 grams of THC or CBD flower (depending on the intended use)
- 1 stick of butter (228 grams)
- 1 cup of water
- Parchment paper
STEP 1: Decarb The Weed
Before you start making your cannabutter, you need to bake the cannabis. This process is called decarbing (also known as decarboxylation). It’s crucial because it activates the cannabinoids (THC and CBD) present in the flower, allowing you to feel their effects after eating the edibles.
- Preheat the oven to 110°C (230°F) – 120°C (250°F). Depending on the amount of time you have and whether you’re using a THC or CBD flower, there are many temperatures you can use to decarb your weed. Don’t overdo it with higher heat or you risk burning your flower.
- Place your buds on a non-stick tray or parchment paper. Put your cannabis on the non-sticky tray and spread it evenly. You can even line an oven-safe tray with parchment paper and place the small pieces of bud on the paper.
- Bake the buds in the oven for 40 – 45 minutes. Make sure you don’t leave your buds alone and check them every 10 minutes. Next, remove the tray from the oven and lightly shake the buds to expose all surfaces equally. Once you’re done shaking, place the tray back in the oven. Fresh cannabis may require up to an hour to bake, but you can cook older and drier cannabis in as little time as 20 minutes.
STEP 2: Mix The Weed
Once you’re done decarbing the weed, you’re ready to begin the infusion.
- Melt the butter. Place the butter into a saucepan and add a cup of water to prevent it from burning. Allow the butter to melt over low heat.
- Add the decarbed bud. Once the butter mixture melts, it’s time to add the decarbed weed. Again, make sure that it’s grinded if you’re choosing to do it later in the process.
- Let it simmer. Continue simmering (while occasionally stirring) on low heat for 2 to 3 hours. Never bring the mixture to a full boil, as the heat should be between 70°C – 80°C.
STEP 3: Strain The Butter
After 3 hours have passed and you can smell the aroma of your cannabis and butter mixture, it’s time to strain it.
- Wrap your cheesecloth over a jar. Be careful the cloth doesn’t move when you’re pouring. You can use a rubber band or a small rope to tie around the jar, so the cheesecloth doesn’t slip while straining. You can also use a coffee filter if you have no cheesecloth available.
- Pour the butter into the jar. Allow it to strain as much as it can, and then you can dispose of any remaining plant materials. Tip: Do not try to squeeze the cheesecloth, as this would allow more foul-tasting plant particles to pass through into the extracted butter.
- Allow it to cool off: Once the butter has cooled off, you can place it in your refrigerator. And voila! Your cannabutter is ready.
STEP 4: How To Store Your Cannabutter
Most products that contain THC lose potency over time if not stored correctly. It’s pretty essential to understand how to store your cannabutter so you can preserve it and keep it in the best condition.
Wrap it in an airtight container and keep it in a cool place like a refrigerator. If tightly wrapped, your cannabutter can remain fresh in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks.
STEP 5: Determining The Potency of Your Cannabutter
After a long day of work, it’s a great time to enjoy your cannabutter. Chop it into small, consistent quantities to make the most of this deliciousness!
To test the potency of your cannabutter, spread a 1/2 teaspoon on a piece of toast, and wait for 1-2 hours for the effects to kick in. This will help you determine how much cannabutter you should use to make edibles.
You could always use a dosage calculator to get your amounts right to make your life easier.
Step 6: Enjoy!
In almost every recipe, replacing butter or oil with cannabutter has been easy because they both do what they’re meant for (when cooked correctly).
Just remember: because cannabutter is stronger than other alternatives like oils or butter, it might take some getting used to before adding more in your edibles. Don’t forget edibles are only as potent as how much you eat.
Bud Bar is your trusted Calgary dispensary. We pride ourselves on creating an open and welcoming environment where you are comfortable and have safe access to recreational cannabis. We set ourselves apart with personalized customer service, with our budtenders providing one-on-one sessions so that you can learn about our cannabis products and accessories. We offer a selection of high-quality yet affordable products, including flower buds, pre-rolls, oils, capsules, as well as accessories like vaporizers, bongs, and pipes. As your trusted Calgary marijuana dispensary, we can make it easy and safe for you to get recreational cannabis. Visit our marijuana stores in Calgary Northwest today, or place an order online!